* Note: If you are a current freshmen or sophomore interested in petitioning to become a James Scholar, per the new process, you will be extended an invitation at the end of this academic year if you meet the requirements.
Freshman Year (1st Year)
Students invited to enter the College of Business as James Scholars must meet the following requirements to continue as a James Scholar in the sophomore (2nd) year:
- Earn an “A” or “B” grade in the honors section of Business 101 and successfully complete the assigned honors project.
- Successfully participate in the James Scholar Dean’s Honors Seminar (BUS 199), a spring semester course which meets weekly with the Associate Dean of Undergraduate Affairs. The Dean’s Honors Seminar will introduce James Scholars with resources that they may select to build skills in areas such as leadership, teamwork, consulting, technology, community service, entrepreneurship, etc.
- Participate in the winter break Job Shadow program administered by the Office of Business Career Services.
- Participate in the Spring Sleeman Leadership Program for James Scholars.The Sleeman Leadership Program, funded by a gift to the College of Business from Tom and Nancy Sleeman, is offered by the College of Business Office of Undergraduate Affairs.
- Earn at least a 3.5 cumulative GPA (beginning Fall 2015 all incoming freshmen will need to earn at least a 3.65 cumulative GPA) with a minimum of 28 graded ILLINOIS credit hours (a minimum of 14 graded ILLINOIS in the Fall and a minimum of 14 graded ILLINOIS credit hours in the Spring is required) for the freshmen year. Please note – Graded hours do not include Pass/Fail, Credit/No Credit, or Guided Individual Study courses. You must receive a letter grade for the class for it to count towards this requirement.
- Sign the College of Business James Scholar Program Code of Conduct.
To propose a new option for an activity requirement to fulfill the James Scholar requirement, please use the form provided here. If you have any questions, please contact the James Scholar Executive Committee, firstname.lastname@example.org.