Applications for Fall 2017 enrollment will open October 1, 2016.
|Application Deadline||Notification Sent||Deposit Deadline|
|January 27, 2017||February 24, 2017||March 10, 2017|
|March 17, 2017*||April 7, 2017||April 21, 2017*|
|April 14, 2017||May 5, 2017||May 19, 2017|
* Last deadline for international applicants who are not currently in the US on a Visa.
Application Checklist and Instructions
Only complete applications are eligible for review. You will be able to save your application and return to it. A completed application includes the following documents to be entered and/or uploaded into the application:
- Written Statement
o The 300 word statement is the only statement required. Applicants Do NOT need to complete the 1500 word statement referenced in the online application.
o The written statement for the application opening October 1, 2015 is as follows:
In 300 words or less, describe your area of interest in finance and what your goals are upon completion of the MSF program.
- Discuss the choices that have led you to your current career path and position
- Express your career goals and how the Illinois MSF will help you to achieve these goals
- Indicate your desired position upon completion of the Illinois MSF program
Your written statement can be uploaded in the on-line application.
- Unofficial Transcripts. The unofficial transcripts must include a transcript legend, grade scale or grade criteria. If an offer of admission is made, the OfficialTranscript(s) are required to be submitted upon arrival to campus**.
- Degree Certificate/Diploma If an offer of admission is made, the final Official Transcripts and the Official Degree Certificate(s)/Diploma are required to be submitted upon arrival to campus.
- (3) Letters of Recommendation. Enter the name and email address of 3 recommenders. The application system will send emails to the Recommenders and request their electronic submission.
- Provide official GMAT or GRE scores. MSF applicants are required to submit a test score. All current and previous results must be reported to the University of Illinois electronically. Application files will not be reviewed until a GMAT or GRE score is provided.
We will review your application and make a final decision with scanned copies of your transcripts and degree certificates uploaded to the application or mailed to us. Official and original copies of your transcripts and degree certificates in a sealed envelope from all post-secondary institutions are not required until after an admission decision is made, but we will accept them at the time of application.
Please realize that if you opt to send non-original copies of these documents, the University of Illinois Graduate College will require that you send or bring the official documents to their offices in sealed envelopes once you arrive on campus. If you fail to provide these documents by the required deadline (indicated in your Notice of Admission email), you will be prevented from registering for and attending classes. Therefore, it will save you time and trouble if you are able to send all the required documents at the time of application, but it is not required to review your application.
GMAT or GRE Score
GMAT Scores are reported electronically by PearsonVue. Please self-report your score on your application and request PearsonVue to report your score electronically to the University of Illinois MSF program using code “VKRTK14”.
GRE scores are reported electronically by the Electronic Testing Service (ETS). Please self-report your score on your application and request ETS to report your score electronically to the University of Illinois (Institution Code 1836), Department Code 4102.
If you have not yet taken the GMAT or GRE, please indicate the date you intend to take the exam in your application. On your test day, please fax the unofficial score report to the MSF office at 217-333-1144 and arrange for an official score report to be sent electronically.
You may make use of the online tutorials and test preps at the GMAT and GRE websites:
On-line Application and Fee
- Online Application/ fee payment ($70 domestic/$90 international) can be paid by credit card when you submit your online application.
International Applicants must also include:
Evidence of English proficiency
English Language Test Score TOEFL (from ETS) or IELTS score TOEFL scores must be sent to the U of I directly from ETS using Institution Code: 1836, Department Code: 00. IF you are required to select a division, you may select “Graduate School of Management”. For IELTS scores, you should upload a copy of your score card.
Waiver of TOEFL or IELTS- Graduate applicants may be exempt from providing a TOEFL or IELTS score only if you if meet all of the criteria for one or both of the following situations:
o you have completed at least two years of post-secondary full-time study, as defined by the home institution, in the United States or in a country where English is the primary language and, at an institution where English is the primary medium of instruction, within five years of the proposed term of initial enrollment at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.To see if you may qualify for an exemption, check to see if the country where you attended university appears on the Exempt Countries list.
o you have a graduate degree from an institution in tin the United States or in a country where English is the primary language and, at an institution where English is the primary medium of instruction, within five years of the proposed term of initial enrollment at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.To see if you may qualify for an exemption, check to see if the country where you attended university appears on the Exempt Countries list. a country where English is the primary language and at an institution where English is the primary language of instruction, within five years of the proposed term of initial enrollment at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
International applicants are required to provide financial verification for the first 12 months of their program. You may use the forms below. For additional information on program costs, please click here.
- Declaration & Certification of Finances form Print, complete and upload.
- Instructions for bank statements
- Financial affidavit or sponsorship letter (if applicable)
- Copy of passport information and photo, including dependents if applicable.
Upload All Application Materials into the Graduate Application.
For additional information and/or questions: