Living and Extracurricular FAQs

What types of resources are available to help me find appropriate housing?
  • As students begin their transition to the University of Illinois and Urbana-Champaign, the Graduate College Housing has information about many of the housing options available.
  • You may find the following links useful in your search:
  • Champaign-Urbana Tenant Union
  • University Housing Website: Sherman Hall is probably the closest University Housing option available to graduate students and, located only a few blocks away from where your classes will be, and you do not have to cook. If you are considering Graduate Halls, Daniels is also close. University Housing also has apartment options: Goodwin Green, Ashton Woods and Orchard Downs. These options tend to be fairly minimal.
  • Also, check out Campus Resources and Campus Life and Opportunities. International students may find additional information useful at International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS).
  • The move in date in many of the area’s housing is mid-August, however, since you must be here for Check in and Orientation week Housing has an Early Arrival/Departure form that can provide you with temporary housing. Attractive, short-term summer rates may be found for Graduate Track students.
  • Champaign-Urbana has a reasonable cost of living, and since MTD buses are included in the nonrefundable University fees paid by each student, many students choose to rent apartments around town. You are able to ride the MTD bus by simply showing your i-card. These buses run every 5-20 minutes and have multiple routes throughout campus, Urbana, Champaign and Savoy.
    • The Business Instructional Facility (BIF) is where your classes take place and is located at 515 East Gregory Drive, Champaign, IL, 61820.
    • The MS in Business Administration Office Suite is located in 15 Wohlers Hall (WH), 1206 South Sixth Street, Champaign, IL, 61820.
    • These two buildings are directly across the street from each other and adjacent to the main library.
How can I arrange for housing through the University - do I need a social security number?

Please follow the instructions below to help obtain university housing:

  • Go to
  • Click on PROSPECTIVE STUDENTS (by the photos)
  • Click on APPLY ONLINE (to the right of the photo)
  • Click on GRADUATE HALL CONTRACT under Making Plans for Living with Us
  • About five sections down, under “Before submitting your housing contract online”, there is a link to set your password. Click on i-card website.
  • In the box under “Welcome to the i-card Web Site”, click on “I NEED TO SET A PASSWORD AND PIN FOR THE FIRST TIME.”
  • There is a section in red that begins with “IMPORTANT; if you do not have an SSN or did not provide – you will then need to click on the link for instructions on getting your password and PIN.”

You will receive instructions by email from the I-Card help desk about getting your password and PIN without a SSN. As for a Social Security Number, international students who do not work (F-1 can only work within the university) are ineligible for a Social Security Number. If asked for a Social Security Number by an outside source (for example, a utility company, etc.), you may need to provide a Letter of Ineligibility from the Office of International Student Affairs.

What type of clothing should I bring?

During regular classroom lectures, business casual attire is encouraged and required at times. For men, this includes a polo shirt or button-down shirt with no tie, nice pants such as corduroys, chinos, khakis or dress blue jeans. For women, this includes a polo shirt, blouse or sweater and nice pants such as corduroys, chinos, khakis or dress blue jeans. Sensible walking shoes are always a good idea as students do a lot of walking.

The winters in Champaign-Urbana are often quite cold, averaging temperatures of 16-32 degrees Fahrenheit (-9-0 degrees Celsius) in January, so a warm coat, hats, gloves and boots are needed. Summers can be warm with August temperatures ranging from 65-85 degrees Fahrenheit (18-29 degrees Celsius).

American business formal attire will be required from time to time. For men, this means a dress shirt with tie, a suit jacket, matching pants, belt, dress socks and dress shoes. For women, this means a blouse, a suit jacket with matching pants or skirt and dress shoes (closed-toe). Open-toed shoes are not appropriate.

Can I work while enrolled in the MS in Business Administration program?

Since the MS in Business Administration program is an intensive and challenging program, jobs for students are typically discouraged. Many assignments are done in teams which will require you to be flexible with your schedule. However, if your financial situation requires that you must work, visit the University’s Office of Student Employment website or the Virtual Job Board to find flexible part-time work. Both are updated daily. Please note: if you have an F1 visa, you may ONLY work on-campus.