International Applicants

International applicants must meet minimum requirements based on their country of origin. Check the minimum requirements for applicants from your country.

International students can join the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign on one of two visa types: F-1 “student” or J-1 “exchange visitor student.” Upon admission, an international student is usually sent an I-20 to obtain F-1 status.

There are three exceptions:

    1. Students already in the United States on a J-1 student status will be sent a DS-2019 to continue in that status. Some students in J-1 status are not permitted to change status to F-1 within the United States.
    2. Students already under the sponsorship of an agency for J-1 status (e.g., AAI, LASPAU, AID, IIE) receive a DS-2019 from that agency.
    3. Students who request a DS-2019 to come to the United States in J-1 status because of the advantages of that option, may be sent a DS-2019. Please note that students who receive at least half of their funds from personal or family sources are not eligible to obtain J-1 status.

Students with questions about the effect of J-1 versus F-1 status in their particular circumstances should contact:

International Student and Scholar Services
610 East John Street Room 331
Champaign, Illinois 61820-5782 USA
Telephone: 217-333-1303
E-mail: or