Student Participation Agreement
Business Career Services’ (BCS’) mission is to provide you with the resources necessary to execute a successful employment search. To ensure the excellent reputation of the University of Illinois and the College of Business, you are expected to conduct yourself in a professional manner, and must adhere to the following agreement.
I AGREE TO:
1. PROVIDE ACCURATE INFORMATION AND MAINTAIN CONFIDENTIALITY. I certify that any job search documents and profile information (including, but not limited to GPA, Degree, and Graduation Date) provided to an employer, university or other academic or professional institution in a written, oral, or indirect manner are truthful and accurate. I will keep my Handshake login & password, as well as any company information confidential. I understand that misrepresenting myself is unethical and will result in loss of the privilege to use Handshake. Intentional acts of misrepresentation, in any professional setting, will result in institutional action.
2. PRACTICE PROFESSIONALISM IN COMMUNICATIONS. I will respond in a timely manner to employer and BCS communications throughout the recruitment process including, but not limited to: email, telephone and in-person interactions.
3. ACCEPT INTERVIEWS ONLY WITH EMPLOYERS THAT GENUINELY INTEREST ME.
4. KEEP ALL INTERVIEW APPOINTMENTS. If I need to cancel, I will cancel through Handshake at least four days in advance of the interview. In an emergency situation, I will notify BCS directly as soon as possible and know that my situation will be reviewed and documentation may be requested. Missing a scheduled interview is unacceptable and unprofessional. I have read and understand Business Career Services’ Interview Cancellation and Interview No-Show Policies below. I understand that should I miss a scheduled interview, my Handshakeaccount will be immediately disabled.
5. HONOR JOB SHADOW MATCHES. I understand that by submitting a resume for a Job Shadow, I agree to the terms (i.e. dates) and locations listed in the position description. I understand that I may not cancel my job shadow after a match has occurred. If an emergency occurs, I will notify BCS directly as soon as possible and know that my situation will be reviewed and documentation may be requested. I understand that should I miss a scheduled job shadow, my Handshake account will be immediately disabled.
6. NOTIFY EMPLOYERS OF MY ACCEPTANCE OR REJECTION OF OFFERS BY THE MUTUALLY AGREED UPON DATE/TIME.
7. HONOR AN ACCEPTED OFFER AND DISCONTINUE INTERVIEWING UPON PROVIDING VERBAL OR WRITTEN ACCEPTANCE. Once an offer has been accepted, I will cancel all upcoming interviews by contacting BCS and the companies. I will also notify BCS of my job acceptance, discontinue use of Handshake, and decline any additional interview invitations. If any concerns about an offer arise, I will contact BCS to discuss the situation. I understand that reneging is unprofessional and will result in loss of the privilege to use Handshake. MBA Students will also be required to read and agree to the specific MBA Student Policy on accepting offers.
8. ALLOW BCS TO DISCLOSE DOCUMENTS. I agree that BCS has permission to make resumes, cover letters, and applications available to prospective employers; and these documents may be requested by employers according to employment authorization status, desired function, past experience, etc. Further, I agree to hold harmless the Board of Trustees of the University of Illinois, its officers, agents, and assignees from any damages that might incur as a result of BCS’ release of my information.
Business Career Services’ Interview Cancellation Policy: Business Career Services allows students to cancel an interview until four days before the interview through Handshake. In an emergency situation, the student must notify Business Career Services as soon as possible prior to the interview. Each situation will be reviewed and documentation may be requested. Students will be required to meet with an Assistant Director and write a note of apology to the recruiter with whom the interview was to occur. Cancelling an interview less than four days before the interview may result in a loss of Handshake privileges.
Business Career Services’ No-Show Policy: Students who miss a scheduled interview will lose Handshake privileges immediately. Students will be required to meet with an Assistant Director and write a note of apology to the recruiter with whom the interview was to occur.