Job Shadow Program
The Job Shadow Program coordinated by Business Career Services (BCS) matches students with employers/alumni to gain insight into business careers. One or more students shadow a professional (preferably alumnus/a) for one day. This gives company sponsors a chance to guide future professionals through a job-shadow experience.
- Brand your company by exposing students to company culture and new technologies.
- Showcase what professionals in your organization do on a daily basis, their daily challenges and requirements.
- Provide students a chance to gain exposure to specific applications of their business major and career interests.
- Get a head start in identifying potential candidates early in their college careers.
Student Application and Selection Process
- Freshmen and sophomores in the College of Business are eligible to participate. College of Business Honors freshmen are required to participate.
- BCS staff train students prior to their Job Shadow visit.
- To apply, students can submit their resume up to 15 Job Shadow opportunities. The program is integrated within the online Handshake system for companies to screen and rank all students. The system processes the employer-student matches.
- Students will be responsible for all expenses incurred, i.e. housing, meals, and transportation.
October 12, 2015: employer deadline for submission of Job Shadow information on Handshake.
October 19-October 28, 2015: students submit resumes
October 29-November 6, 2015: employers review resumes and rank students
November 30, 2015:
1) employers will receive an e-mail with instructions to log into Handshake to find out the results of the automated matching
2) employers should begin contacting their matched student(s) to make arrangements for their Job Shadow visit
December 9, 2015: deadline for employers to contact students
January 4 – January 15, 2016: job shadow visits occur
January 19, 2016: employer & student evaluations distributed electronically
January 29, 2016: deadline for receipt of evaluations
Employer and student participants will be expected to complete an evaluation of the Job Shadow Program.