Credits Earned Outside UIUC

Advanced Placement

The University of Illinois participates in the Advanced Placement Program of the College Entrance Examination Board. Within one year of matriculation students must submit the AP scores to the Center for Teaching Excellence. Questions pertaining to AP Credits should be directed to or 217-244-4437. For a listing of AP Credits accepted and the scores needed to obtain credit, visit the Advanced Placement web site:

International Baccalaureate Credit

The University of Illinois recognizes advanced standing credit. Official reports must be submitted to the Center for Teaching Excellence. Questions pertaining to IB Credits should be directed to or 217-244-4437.

A-Level Credits

The University of Illinois recognizes A-Level Credit. Official reports must be submitted to International Admissions. Questions pertaining to A-Level Credits should be directed to or 217-333-0302.

Proficiency Credits

In addition to high school Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate exams, you have ample opportunity to demonstrate your proficiency in math, chemistry, physics and the biological sciences (Integrative Biology and Molecular and Cellular Biology) by taking the departmental proficiency exam once you come to campus. You may not take a proficiency exam for a course you have previously taken whether passed or failed. You may not take a proficiency exam if you have received credit for more than one semester of work in advance of the course in which the examination is requested.

College Credit while in High School

Transferable college credit earned while still in high school will count toward graduation unless it was used to fulfill a UIUC admission pattern requirement.

College Credit at Parkland

Business students are allowed to attend Parkland College while enrolled at the Urbana campus provided that the Office of Undergraduate Affairs Office certifies the stipulations of the concurrent enrollment. The agreement between Illinois and Parkland College lets students take courses and pay in-district tuition and fees in accordance with the number of semester hours taken. To be eligible for concurrent enrollment at Parkland College, students must be enrolled for at least 12 hours at Illinois or at least 1 course during the summer term. Concurrent enrollment will not interrupt residency, nor will it count toward satisfying it. Concurrent enrollment forms are available in 1055 BIF. The Office of Undergraduate Affairs staff can provide assistance with the form.

Transfer Credit from Other Colleges

Transfer work is any work done at another institution whether it is a 2-year or 4-year institution. To transfer work completed elsewhere:

  • Check to see if you are eligible. Check to see if the course is transferable. Web listings are available at
  • Enroll for the course.
  • Ask the institution to send a transcript to UIUC; (Office of Admissions and Records; 901 W. Illinois; Urbana, IL 61801) so that it may be added to your record. Note: You must report all transfer work. The grade and the hours will transfer at the value offered at the institution unless the school is on the quarter system; in that case you will receive 2/3 of the credit hours assigned by the institution.

CLEP Credit

The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign does not award proficiency credit to incoming students based on scores from either the paper-and-pencil or the computerbased CLEP examinations.

Independent Study

Independent study courses are numbered 199, 290, 394 and 395. These courses allow students to work closely with a faculty member in a defined area of study. (A student wishing to take an independent study course must work out the arrangements with the instructor. If the work is to be used for Honors Credit, complete an HCLA agreement.)


The College of Business does not award credit for work experience. Only the Supply Chain Management curriculum offers credit for an academic based internship. Aside from this limited offering, the only means to receive credit for an internship experience is to incorporate the internship experience into an academic based Independent Study course. Independent Study courses allow students to work closely with a faculty member in a defined area of study. Students are responsible for seeking out a faculty member willing to approve a research project based upon the internship opportunity. Students may contact departmental offices for Independent Study enrollment advice and assistance.

BUS 299: BUS Internship
Credit: 0 hours.

Accommodates students who must be registered for a course at the University while completing an internship either because the internship is unpaid and the company requires registration, or because of visa requirements. Only internships in the College of Business will be considered. Approved for S/U grading only.

Back to College Policies