Better Because of Illinois
- #3 preferred institution for recruiters Wall Street Journal
- #6 highest income potential from a Midwestern institution; the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign was the only public school on the list Payscale.com
- Top 15 Public University in the country US News & World Report
Senior Year (4th Year)
Students continuing as James Scholars must complete the grade and credit hour requirements for the fall semester and one James Scholar Program activity requirement. Activity requirement options may be repeated.
Earn at least 3.5 GPA in fall semester of senior year in 14 graded ILLINOIS hours. James Scholars must take 12 hours during their study abroad semester to be considered full-time. The 12 hours can be a combination of classes on-site and University of Illinois semester, online courses. There is no requirement for the number of graded hours during a study abroad semester. Please note - Graded hours do not include Pass/Fail, Credit/No Credit, or Guided Individual Study courses. You must receive a letter grade for the class for it to count towards this requirement.
James Scholar Program Activity Options:
- Participation in the Investment Banking Academy. Ms. Mary Barker, Department of Finance, email@example.com
- Participation in the Finance Academy in Department of Finance. Ms. Maureen Verchota, Department of Finance, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Section leader for BUS 101.
- Membership in the Hoeft Technology and Management Minor. Contact John Quarton, Director of Technology and Management, email@example.com
- Successful completion of a minimum of two Software Proficiencies Certificates at the Margolis Marketing Information Lab during the academic year (may be any combination of basic, intermediate, or advanced certificate levels). Contact Dr. Martin Maurer, Visiting Associate Director of the Market Information Lab, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Member of Illinois Business Consulting.
- Member of OTCR (The Office for Technical Consulting Resources).
- Member of Student Consulting for Non-Profit Organizations (SCNO). email@example.com
- Executive committee member of Beta Gamma Sigma.
- Member of James Scholar Student Executive Committee. James Scholar Executive Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Member of Sleeman Leadership Institute Executive Committee. Mr. Ben Chandler, Assistant Director of Undergraduate Affairs, email@example.com
- Study abroad in program approved by the College of Business Office of International Programs. Ms. Christine Gozdziak, Assistant Dean for International Programs, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tutor College of Business students for 40 hours in one academic year under the supervision of the College of Business Office of Undergraduate Affairs. Contact the students who run the tutoring program at email@example.com
- Serve as an ACCY 301 – 304 Tutor for 55–60 hours. Application required. Professor Susan Thomas, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Work as a research assistant for a faculty member in the College of Business. James Scholar Executive Committee at email@example.com
- Serve as peer advisor. Ms. Teresa D'Urso, Director of Advising and Registration, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Serve on the BUS 101 student leadership team.
- Participate as a student facilitator in the Sleeman Leadership Institute.
- Successful participation in the PricewaterhouseCoopers xACT competition by finishing among the top three teams or earning honorable mention by the competition judges.
- Successful participation in the E&Y "Your World Your Vision" case competition by finishing among the top three teams or earning honorable mention by the competition judges.
- Successful participation in the KPMG Global case study competition by finishing among the top three teams or earning honorable mention by the competition judges.
- Successful participation in the BP Professional Responsibility Strategy Competition. Contact Ms. Gretchen Winter, email@example.com
- Successful participation in Goal of Learning (G.O.L.) Project. firstname.lastname@example.org
To propose a new option for an activity requirement to fulfill the James Scholar requirement, please use the form provided here. If you have any questions, please contact the James Scholar Executive Committee, email@example.com..