1055 Business Instructional Facility
515 East Gregory Drive
Champaign, IL 61820
Phone: (217) 333-2740
Admissions: (217) 244-3890
Fax: (217) 244-9992
The College of Business at the University of Illinois is hiring talented, enthusiastic, student leaders to serve as Section Leaders for Business 101 for the Fall 2012 semester. The position reports to the Course Director for Business 101 and is responsible for co-leading an individual discussion section of Business 101 students.
The primary function of the Section Leader is to assist the Business 101 Faculty with the delivery of the course content and to help instill the concepts of professional responsibility throughout the freshman class of the College of Business. As a Section Leader, you have a unique opportunity to make an unforgettable impact on fellow students, enhancing the College of Business, and the University of Illinois as a whole.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Create lesson plans and activities for BUS 101 students
- Facilitate discussion and interaction in small class sections
- Organize and administer sections as assigned, delivering BUS 101 curriculum
- Supervise the section in the daily class routine
- Instill a high level of morale and esprit-de-corps among BUS 101 students
- Ensure communication throughout the section by means of meetings, bulletin boards, on-line interaction, and by similar means
- Coordinate with other section leaders and the faculty to ensure consistent messaging
- Attend weekly meetings and additional required meetings as directed by the Faculty, including the poster sessions that are the final projects for BUS 101
- Maintain high standards of personal appearance, ethical behavior, and diversity awareness
- Set an example for all BUS 101 students to emulate, both in and out of the classroom
- Maintain confidentiality of sensitive information
- Work within a team to develop positive vision, direction, and results
- Build a sense of community for BUS 101 students and help their growth and development within the College of Business and beyond
Rank & Salary:
- $1500 for the semester, paid monthly contingent upon attendance and full performance of duties
- Complete an Online Application by Friday, September 9, 2011 at noon to be considered for a Section Leader position for Fall 2012. See below for the link to the application.
- Submit an updated Resume
- Participate in the Interview Process consisting of interviews with current Section Leaders as well as with the Course administration
- Be a full-time student in good academic standing in the College of Business for Fall 2012
- For the Fall 2012 Section Leader positions, enroll in Business 301 during the Spring 2012 semester.
- These classes are designed to explore topics in professional responsibility more deeply and, through that, prepare students to be successful section leaders for Business 101
- With guidance, students develop an individualized instructor’s manual to demonstrate understanding of topics in professional responsibility and for use when leading their sections in the fall
- Students will create a personalized professional development plan for themselves
- Techniques for leading discussion sections and Business 101 content are covered
- Business 301 is a 3 credit hour graded class, and students who successfully complete Business 301 will be eligible to serve as a section leader for the fall classes
- If you are selected, more details about the BUS 301 class date and time will be provided.
- Students are required to work on Fridays for a two hour block of time and to attend the Section Leader briefing from 1-2 pm on Fridays as well as to assist in a variety of activities during each class week for a total of approximately 6-9 hours per week.
Please fill out our online application form to begin the process. Once you have completed the form, you will be asked to send a copy of your resume to the Undergraduate Affairs office. THE APPLICATION DEADLINE HAS PASSED.