Lab rules and policies
Your use of the Margolis Market Information Laboratory and the Infinium Capital Management Trading Room constitutes your agreement to abide by the policies and rules set forth for users of the facility and your acknowledgment that policy violations will result in loss or suspension of all computer privileges and in immediate removal from the lab.
1) No food items (this includes gum chewing) and beverages are permitted in the Margolis Market Information Lab Suite (1029C, 1029G and walk-up area). This includes opened and unopened food items as well as covered and uncovered beverages such as plastic bottles and containers or coffee cups with lids. This rule applies to everyone: students, staff and faculty.
Spilled beverages constitute a potential safety hazard due to the electrical outlets. Additionally, spilled beverages, chewing gum, and food particles shorten the life of the of computer equipment, stain the carpeting, and attract ants and other pests.
Your account may be suspended and you may be remotely logged out without warning if you ignore this policy. Visual checks are performed by MIL staff at regular intervals.
2) No tampering with or altering of any parts of the equipment, hard drive, programs, or security levels. "Hacking" may result in criminal charges and/or fines.
3) Use of the lab’s unique software and financial information systems is restricted to academic and research purposes. The software, data, and services provided by the Market Information Lab must not be sold, leased or furnished to anyone or used for any business purposes.
4) The use of cell phones in the MIL suite is strictly prohibited. Turn off cell phones. If you need to use it, please take it to the BIF Atrium.
5) Keep the lab clean, and put all trash (including newspapers)
in the garbage cans provided. Push chairs in and return the computer
to a state ready for the next user.
6) Be considerate, and keep conversation to a minimum and acceptable level. Maintain professional and courteous communication. No obnoxious or belligerent behavior will be tolerated.
7) Lab users who need access to one of the MIL's specialized software tools have first priority. You may be asked to move to another computer lab if you are not using one of the specialized MIL software programs.
8) Any access to offensive, obscene, or pornographic sites is not allowed.
Any failure to comply with the MIL lab rules may result in the loss of your lab privileges. First-time violators must provide their full name and University netID to MIL staff and will not be able to login on MIL computers for at least 7 days. Repeat offenders will be denied network access on MIL computers for an additional or indefinite period of time. Lab users who do not cooperate with the MIL staff will run the risk of permanently losing their lab privileges and in flagrant cases are subject to disciplinary action.
Use and Reservation of the Market Information Lab
Use of the lab’s unique software and financial information systems is restricted to academic and research purposes. The software, data, and services provided by the Market Information Lab must not be sold, leased or furnished to anyone or used for any business purposes.
To schedule one of the lab spaces (1029C or 1029G), first please
MIL Calendar of Events to make sure that the lab is available
when you need it. All reservation requests must be received
from faculty or staff at least one week in advance, and
should be submitted via the
Lab Reservation Request Form. Unless there is a class in
session, both lab spaces are for open use by currently enrolled
students, faculty, and staff during scheduled lab hours.
However, the MIL and TL should not be used for casual use or for any other use that can be accomplished in a regular computer lab or classroom. While exceptions may be made, access will be limited to classes and events that require the lab’s specialized software and research products.
You may save data on the local hard drive (C: drive), but be aware that saved data will be periodically deleted by IT staff. Therefore, we advise you to bring your own USB stick or to save your data on a web file storage system such as Netfiles. The Market Information Lab will not be responsible for loss of data nor will the lab staff aid in data recovery. It is the lab user's responsibility to maintain periodic data backups.
The Market Information Lab has lab hours each week. The hours will change each semester to accommodate the schedule of the lab assistants. Most up-to-date lab hours are available here.