Explore Your Future
The College of Business Job Shadow Program is a one-day commitment during winter break. During the one-day experience, you will be able to explore a career in business that interests you. The goal is to provide you with a clearer understanding of your major, help you begin building a business network, and an opportunity to visit with alums to see what opportunities are available to you in business. Learn more.
Important 2014 Dates
- Oct. 20-29: Submit resume (apply) for Job Shadow positions on I-Link
- Dec. 1: Student will be matched to employer and notified via I-Link
- Dec. 5-9: Job Shadow Mandatory Preparation Training Sessions (attend one)
- Dec. 11: Deadline for students to submit Job Shadow Agreement
- Dec. 11: Deadline for employers to contact students to schedule Job Shadow Day
- Jan. 5: First date for Job Shadow program
- Jan. 16: Last date for Job Shadow program
- Log into I-Link
- Upload your resume which includes college-related extracurriculars, membership, and/or leadership positions
- Search and Apply for Job Shadow Listings
- Go to JOBS > I-LINK JOBS
- Click on Advanced Search (to the right of the search bar)
- Select JOB SHADOW LISTINGS in the SHOW ME search field
- Select BUSINESS WINTER 2014-2015 in the JOB SHADOW PERIOD search field
- Carefully read all job descriptions, noting date or range of dates and location
- Click “Apply” to submit your resume for consideration for Job Shadow matching
- ONLY apply to Job Shadows for which you are available (proximity and availability in dates)
- MUST apply to at least 10 Job Shadow opportunities to be considered, maximum of 15 Job Shadow opportunities
- If you live in a state other than Illinois, come to BCS for assistance
- DO NOT write an ‘optional personal note to the employer’. It will not be read.
Job Shadow Program Timeline
- Between Oct. 20 and 29 you may withdraw resumes and submit new ones by going to JOBS and clicking on MY JOB APPLICATION. In the ‘Option’ column you can withdraw.
- Employers will review submitted resumes and select students. The I-Link system will complete the match so a student will receive one job shadow assignment through I-Link.
- On Dec. 1 students will find their Job Shadow match on I-Link by going to the APPLICATION tab and noting “Job Shadow Accepted”; then, clicking on “position link” for more information.
- Between Dec. 5 and 9, matched students will be required to attend a Job Shadow Preparation Training Session to prepare for the visit. This session will be offered several times; attend once. Read this preparation guide in advance of the training session.
- Once you are notified of a Job Shadow match with an employer, you are required to participate with that employer as detailed in the I-Link Agreement.
Contact your BCS Freshman/Sophomore Advisor, Megan Dino, at firstname.lastname@example.org or stop by 1033 BIF with any questions.