Explore Your Future
The College of Business Job Shadow Program is a one-day commitment during winter break. During the one-day experience, you will be able to explore a career in business that interests you. The goal is to provide you with a clearer understanding of your major, help you begin building a business network, and an opportunity to visit with alums to see what opportunities are available to you in business. Learn more.
Have a job shadow coming up? Make sure you're prepared.
Important 2013 Dates
- Oct. 21-31: Submit resume (apply) for Job Shadow positions on I-Link
- Dec. 2: Student will be matched to employer and notified via I-Link
- Dec. 4-9: Job Shadow Preparation Training Sessions (attend one)
- Dec. 11: Deadline for students to submit Job Shadow Agreement
- Dec. 11: Deadline for employers to contact students to schedule Job Shadow Day
- Jan. 6: First date for Job Shadow program
- Jan. 17: Last date for Job Shadow program
- Access your I-Link Account
Login and use your Illinois email address and password to login. If you have not set your password before or have forgotten it, click on 'Reset Password'. A password reset message will be sent to your Illinois email account (make sure to check your spam folder if you have trouble locating it). If you have any questions about our difficulties with I-Link, come to BCS immediately.
- Upload your resume (if not already uploaded)
Click DOCUMENTS and then ADD NEW. Label your resume (keep it professional and identifiable). If more than one resume is uploaded, select one to be the default. The default resume will be used in resume books and resume searches by employers
- Search and Apply for Job Shadow Listings
- Go to JOB BOARD > ILLINI NACElink Network Jobs
- Select JOB SHADOW LISTINGS in the SHOW ME search field
- Carefully review the opportunities, noting date or range of dates and location
- Click “Apply” to submit your resume for consideration for Job Shadow matching
- ONLY apply to Job Shadows that you will participate in, if matched
- To enhance chances of being matched, apply to up to 15 Job Shadow opportunities
- MUST apply to at least 10 Job Shadow opportunities to be considered
- If you live in a state other than Illinois, come to BCS for assistance
- DO NOT write an ‘optional personal note to the employer’. It will not be read.
Job Shadow Program Timeline
- Between Oct. 22 and 31 you may withdraw resumes and submit new ones by going to JOB BOARD and clicking on the APPLICATIONS tab. In the ‘Option’ column you can withdraw.
- Employers will review submitted resumes and select a pool of students. The I-Link system will complete the match so a student will receive one job shadow assignment through I-Link.
- On Dec. 3 students will find their Job Shadow match on I-Link by going to the APPLICATION tab and noting “Job Shadow Accepted”; then, clicking on “position link” for more information.
- Between Dec. 3 and 12, matched students will be required to attend a Job Shadow Preparation Training Session to prepare for the visit. This session will be offered several times; attend once. Read this preparation guide in advance of the training session.
- If you have not heard by December 12, 2012 from the employer with whom you have been matched come to BCS in 1033 BIF or call (217) 265-0864.
- Once you are notified of a Job Shadow match with an employer, you are required to participate with that employer as detailed in the I-Link Agreement.