Tools for Your Search
BCS provides you with an array of resources to support you in your job search. Your adviser can help you maximize your usage of these valuable resources.
Individual Advising. Advisers can help you make good career decisions that match your values, interests and skills. They can also offer advice on resumes, cover
letters, networking, interviews, and assessing job offers.
Career Resource Library. Located in 1033 BIF, this small reference library contains information on careers in business, resumes and cover letters.
On-Campus Recruiting. Every year, thousands of interviews take place on campus. To participate in on-campus recruiting, stay on top of I-Link.
Career Fairs. Business Career Fairs are held each semester and host up to 100 different companies each day.
Information Sessions. Company information sessions provide a good opportunity to explore and network with company representatives.
Career Development Workshops. These workshops address special topics on career planning including resume preparation, interviewing, and employment search techniques.
Mock Interview Programs. Practice your interview skills and build self-confidence by participating in a mock interview with BCS staff and/or with employers.
Employer Forum Series. Explore different career paths by meeting alumni from various industries in a series of panel discussions.
Undergraduate Job Shadow Program. (Freshmen and Sophomores only) Take a look at a company or industry by 'shadowing' professionals through a normal day on the job.
Salary Info and Statistics. Statistics are available by major for full-time and internship offers.
Company and Industry Information
- Vault is a comprehensive online warehouse of information for students pursuing high-potential careers. This site offers employer profiles and rankings, industry blogs, message boards, its own job board, and more. As a student at the University of Illinois, you have additional access to exclusive reports and insider guides. Go to Vault and enter your Illinois email address to create an account.
- WetFeet is another career information site that contains job search articles and employer profiles and reviews.
- One Source offers profiles, news, analysis, and financials for over 17 million companies and has excellent search functionality.
- LexisNexis Academic provides access to billions of searchable documents and records from news and business sources. This site delivers company/industry news, financial data, analyst reports, and information on small companies. It also has an extensive company profile and directory database.
- Mergent is a searchable company database that pools financial data, annual reports, and industry news. Mergent has a large number of international companies and also gives you the ability to create reports in PDF, Word, or Excel formats.
- First Research specializes in industry overviews, news, and analysis.
- IBISWorld is a database of industry market research reports.
- Occupational Outlook Quarterly is published by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics and features projections of occupations, industries, the labor force, and the overall economy.
- The University of Illinois Library has more resources to help your research.
- National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) Salary Calculator provides salary analysis based on data and trends from partner schools.
- Glassdoor.com allows you to search for salaries by job title, company, and location. All data is employee-reported and also includes company reviews.
- Salary.com offers a Salary Wizard that draws from a database of employer-reported salaries.
Below is a partial list of popular job boards and engines on the web. You can view a more extensive list here.
- Indeed.com - global search engine and job board
- Simplyhired.com - global search engine and job board; integrates with LinkedIn to identify potential contacts
- AccountantJobs.com - accounting
- eFinancialCareers.com - finance
- MarketingHire.com - marketing
- Council of Supply Chain Management Professionals - supply chain
- JustTechJobs.com - information systems/information technology
- USA Jobs - federal government jobs
- GuideStar - non-profit
- MyVisaJobs.com - for international students seeking jobs in the US
- 6FigureJobs.com - $100K+ jobs for experienced candidates
- Going Global - job postings and employment outlooks for every major country in the world and state in the US; accessible through a direct link on your I-Link home page
- StreetID - A career matchmaking and networking site for finance careers. Students can create an account for free, fill out a profile, and be entered into a global database searched by financial services firms in the U.S., Europe, and Asia.
- JOBipedia - Job search advice direct from recruiters and hiring managers.
- National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) 2012 Job Choices Magazine - insightful articles on common job search issues
- Social Jobs Partnership - a collaboration between NACE, Facebook, the U.S. Department of Labor, DirectEmployers Association, and the National Association of State Workforce Agencies to leverage social networks to facilitate employment