2013 Illinois International Journal of
May 17-20, 2013
Symposium on Tax Research
September 19-20, 2013
Department of Accountancy
University of Illinois
360 Wohlers Hall
1206 South Sixth Street
Champaign, Illinois 61820
We will serve the profession and the community by providing world-class leadership in the accountancy discipline. We will provide innovative learning experiences that engage the highest quality faculty and students in all aspects of scholarship, including the creation, dissemination and application of accounting knowledge.
- A commitment to scholarship involving the creation of new accounting knowledge.
- A commitment to excellence in everything we do to meet our mission.
- A recognition that continuous improvement is essential to our ongoing success.
- A belief that innovation is essential to maintaining excellence and continuous improvement.
- A commitment to treat everyone with the same respect we demand for ourselves.
- A belief that open and candid communication is important to accomplishing our mission.
- A willingness to cooperate and work together to accomplish our common goals.
- A commitment to diversity in scholarly, cultural, racial and gender matters.
- A commitment to high ethical values and behavior consistent with those ethical values.
MEASURES OF SUCCESS
- Rankings by domestic and international constituencies, private and public groups.
- Inclusion on priority recruiting lists of highly ranked employers.
- Longitudinal success of alumni.
- Evaluation of faculty contributions by students, professionals and peers.
- Funding success.
- Influence in academic and professional circles.
- Evidence of innovation.
A world-class faculty, collectively dedicated to achieving intellectual excellence in ourselves, our students and the profession.
- World-class faculty
- Recruiting effectiveness
- Retention effectiveness
- Faculty intellectual diversity
- Cultural and gender diversity
- Recruit, develop and retain a world-class faculty
- Achieve a reasonable balance between intellectual diversity and critical mass in faculty interests and activities
- Promote equality of opportunity for current and future members of the accounting profession
- Recruit world-class students capable of leadership in the profession and the community
- Maintain a Departmental staff capable of effectively supporting all aspects of the Department's activities
- Provide an environment that encourages communication, cooperation and collegiality
A center of excellence in producing and disseminating discovery scholarship that is relevant to accountancy, and in integrating the content and process of research into teaching. We also value scholarship that integrates and applies discovery knowledge to emerging issues in accountancy practice.
- Rankings in selected research domains
- Research productivity
- Mentoring and co-authoring
- Integration of teaching and research
- Develop and maintain a critical mass of faculty primarily through recruiting
- Allocate resources based on research productivity to increase the production of accountancy knowledge
- Collect and disseminate measures of research-related activity to increase the production of accountancy knowledge. Disseminate information to encourage publishing activities
- Encourage and reward integration of the content and process of research into teaching
Educate students to be responsible world citizens and to be leaders in the accountancy profession by guiding them to develop the twin abilities of thinking critically about economic and business issues, and communicating their thinking both orally and in writing.
- Students' abilities to think critically
- Students' abilities to communicate
- Satisfaction with graduates
- Satisfaction of graduates
- Offer an undergraduate accountancy program that guides students' development of the twin abilities of critical thinking and communication
- Offer professional graduate accountancy programs that guide students' development of the twin abilities of critical thinking and communication
- Offer a Ph.D. accountancy program that guides students' development of the twin abilities of critical thinking and communication
- Offer accountancy courses and minors with other College units, that guide students' development of the twin abilities of critical thinking and communication
- Maintain processes to continuously evaluate and improve curriculum content and educational processes
Strong, mutually beneficial relationships with external constituencies.
- Student quality and diversity
- Student and alumni commitment
- Financial support
- External communications
- Career services effectiveness
- Community outreach
- Professional outreach
- Develop and enhance relations with students
- Establish new relationships and strengthen ongoing interactions with alumni and other external constituencies
Institutional design and resource allocation mechanisms that motivate and enhance faculty, staff and students in accomplishing the mission of the Department.
- Perceptions of external groups
- Increased productivity
- Effective utilization of facilities
- Staff working conditions
- Effectiveness of assistantships
- Effectiveness of summer support
- Student satisfaction
- Create an organizational structure within the Department to administer programs and projects following the strategic plan
- Conduct annual faculty and staff performance evaluation
- Organize annual faculty recruiting
- Allocate departmental resources to motivate faculty, staff and students to accomplish the mission
- Increase the effectiveness of faculty and student interactions and of students organizations
- Assign NCTAs in a way that motivates faculty and recognizes the educational needs of doctoral and masters students
- Establish and maintain staff working conditions that motivate the staff in support of the mission
KEY WORDS MEANING
Profession: A profession is an occupation requiring high intellectual skills acquired after lengthy training and practice. A professional is one who possesses the requisite skills as well as an appropriate sense of responsibility, wisdom and concern for the public welfare not necessarily or commonly found in others. We define the accounting profession broadly to include both academic and practicing professionals who possess these attributes.
Community: By this term, we refer to the body of constituents and others interested in and benefited by accounting, including: business and non-profit organizations, government, the individual and society at large.
World-class: When the best peer institutions in our field are enumerated, we want our mission accomplishments to place us at the top of the list.
Leadership: We seek to set the pace for others through respect earned from the quality of current and past achievements.
Accountancy Discipline: We define accountancy broadly, recognizing that the ultimate purpose of accounting is to provide quantitative and qualitative information for decision making, including monitoring and controlling business activities.
Innovative: The pioneering of new ideas and methods of research and instruction that will advantageously change the way in which others seek knowledge and learn.
Learning Experience: We organize activities that enhance the ability of the leaner to acquire knowledge through experience, observation, testing and active participation in the learning process.
Scholarship: The pursuit of knowledge through research, broadly defined to encompass the discovery of new knowledge, the integration and application of knowledge and the communication of knowledge to others.